Saturday, November 15, 2008

People Leaving

A lot of people are leaving at work. I don't know what's going on, the reasons for their departures but it's just...feel weird.

Yesterday, Friday, Willy Li who sat on my left and Alex who sat in front of me, left. Alex came to this company just a few days after I started working here and we have the same birthday (not year). We are both from California, graduated from UCs and shared somewhat a similar experience growing up.

We were hired to work on the English version of the world history textbook and her departure leaves me as the only "English" person in the history section.

A lot of people left in the past month or so. First it was Patty, then Eleanor and Zhi On. I am going to write about them so I won't forget who they are.

Patty came to work on the English edition of the Liberal Studies textbook. She was excited about working here and tried to fit in but at a point, she stopped eating out with us and just looked blue. It began somewhat hard to talk to her. And then she left. She didn't leave happily and I don't know why. There's something there but I don't know what it is. She studied English with emphasis on communication at UST.

Eleanor worked at the Chinese section but we used to see each other a lot in the subway because she also lives in Shatin. I remember on one rainy day on which I forgot my umbrella, she walked with me to work, that was very nice of her because her umbrella was kind of small. I was actually thinking about finding a broken umbrella from the dump before she offered.

Zhi On was a lengthly guy and we chatted sometimes at the pantry. At times we talked about NBA and he was a funny guy. I don't think he left well. He was nervous and choking a bit when he was going around giving us cakes.

There was also Dorothy who was in her early 40s and head of the Liberal Studies section. She was nice and was somewhat looked over me. She was quite nice to me and helped me out a few times when I was being too honest and carefree. She left quite suddenly, sooner than expected and I didn't say goodbye probably. Wish her well.

I wonder when I will leave haha.

Friday night we had a good time doing Bible study and afterward during sharing we went into the topic of children fellowship and children ministry. We had a nice little discussion. What Sunny and Eve said of the importance of children ministry/program really woke me up. When I entered children fellowship ministry, I didn't really think too much of it. I thought of it more as a way to encourage parents to go to Sunday school while giving kids a quality time. I guess I didn't see the bigger picture and vision of how children worship is part of something bigger, and important to the quality and life of the church.

So what we talked about?

Children ministry, well, a good children ministry would attract not only children but also their parents (adults) to come to church.
There's a connection there that go both way. Parents bring kids to church, kids like it here, then the parents would keep on coming to church. Like two forces that bring people in and raise/develop the Christians here at church!

I knew this from readings but I never thought of children worship this way before.
So in children worship and children ministry we need to do a very good job. We need a whole package. Great kids Sunday school, children worship, future youth group, high school school fellowships... We need to attract kids and adults, the whole family.

That motivates me. It's a good reminder of what we should aim for. So instead of just "doing a job" at my post, now it is on how we can do better? How we can attract more kids, develop more people, bring more people to church. I guess now I see how children worship fits into the big picture, in the vehicle to serve God.

It is super great to see how some young people are fired up for God to serve and devote their time, energy, brain juice-I am just a little worry if they would get burned out too quickly coz of a little bit of overloading.

No comments: