Sunday, March 15, 2009

Souperman: the origin and new definition.

i use souperman as my aim screen name and named this blog afterward not because i think i have superpower, but kind of as a homage to the Australian writer Paul Jennings' short story title: 'Souperman'. Who is 'souperman'? From the story, souperman was basically superman except that he gets his superpower from can soup. Without the can of soup, he's a weak person who struggles to open the can he need to get this power from.

in hindsight, i think i am a weakling without the external power, the power of God. i think human needs a lot of stuff to be strong, like love, trust, security, knowledge, wisdom, support, etc.

For a long time, a very long time actually (at least 7 years) I have been asking what I want to be? What kind of career do I want? What goal do I have? What I am here for?

I oversaw one question though, "What does God want me to be?"

I thought of that before but never serious thought about it or in detail. And once I am starting to break it down, decisions become easier.

One problem that I have been dealing with is juggling all the different ministries/services at church. I have been learning a lot for the past 2 years serving at church and especially the year, but the load is a bit too much and I find myself struggling to do anyone of them particular well and then I was exhausting myself, neglecting some areas of my life. I knew I have to cut something back, but didn't know which exactly.

What does God want me to focus on? (children fellowship, small group, choir)
I feel a burden for small group and children fellowship in particular and less on choir.

I enjoy choir although it's hard at times. Choir is a mature ministry but just short on people. There are a number of sisters and brothers gifted an devoted to the choir to make sure it is doing well. I am just an extra voice.

Small group (SG) is just starting out and I think we are trying hard to mesh well together, getting to know one another so caring is one big thing to do. And caring takes time! Most people are quite busy during the weekdays and Sunday lunch is a good opportunity to get to know SG better. In the little time that I might only have in Hong Kong (before I go anywhere else if everything work out fine), it is crucial that SG is solid with at least a core of SGers. A lot of caring, time, heart and etc.

Went to the Children fellowship meeting on Wednesday and we are going into another stage. Ms Chan prepared really well. It was more than just a meeting, it was also training and development. We are expanding, teachers need to be more devoted. We are setting up at least month long committment. We are not short on teachers, but a bit short in the core. We need at least 4 but only have 2 and both girls. We need some balance. I wanted to join but Ms Chan warned us that it will be a lot of work and needs committment and so I did not raise my hand. There is a big need. It's so important to have a good children program. Make a difference in the world, i youngsters' lives.

No comments: