Sunday, December 14, 2008

Monday again

It's monday again, where did the weekend go? I have no idea. Did i get to accomplish what I wanted to do over the weekend? sort of. ahhhh I need more hours in a day or just simply more goal-orientated and efficient.

Had my appraisal last Tuesday and I was kind of scare because it was my first time and I wasn't making deadline on the latest assignment. Boss was alright with me. I actually wanted to smile and laugh. I don't know, sometimes when i get nervous I would giggle and laugh. I think it's a self-imposed mechanism that is suppose to distract me from stress. Anyway, I basically acted serious the whole time and buffed up my lips and pulled back my chin and jaws to prevent that stupid smile from coming on.

Boss basically told me to be more professional and have a more professional look. She told me to sit up straight and button up. And she talked a bit about my personality and how I need to give a good impression. She told me that people are going to judge me with first impression, they don't have time to get to know who you are. She said that I need more determination and more focused. It was good, I knew that she was telling the truth.

She even asked me if I think I am suitable for the job and told me to at least finish this cycle and don't be like one of the coworker who left. I think she gave me some honest, good advices. Yet at the same time she wanted to know what I was thinking about working and if I would leave or not. I think she wanted me to at least stay until the LS book and World History's cycles are finished.

I told her that I don't think I am a sitting in an office kind of person. She asked if I can make it as a reporter...

She was trying on a smile and wanted to crack a joke and make it less serious but i was too scare to smile and laugh with her.

Afterward, my coworkers said if you two shared a laugh, I said no... I guess I was suppose to ease up a bit.

Finally watched Cape No.7 after thinking of doing so for a few weeks. The first impression is that it is a bit confusing with how the story of the love letters not really relating to the actual plot of the movie, but i slowly made the connection after a while (like a day) and is pretty amazed at the richness and complexity of the film. At the same time, the film has a very pure kind, simplicity feel to it with a lot of laughs, well-timed humor yet has something going on underneath. 

I was actually a little disappointed by it because i thought it would be really good but i think the biggest stories are how Cape No.7 is banned from showing in mainland China, the director's (魏德聖) struggle to get his movie made the way he wanted, and the theme  of hope and overcoming the past in this film. There are some cheesy parts that reminded me of American melodrama comedy but otherwise it is a good film. 

It's good to get away from Hollywood and Hong Kong film every once in a while. 


No comments: