Thursday, August 27, 2009

small group 2

I was assigned to the small group on Thursday under Janice probably after some discussion by the small group leaders. I somewhat felt like a piece of meat. I like Phil's small group. Well, I like Phil and the people there. The others seem to be a bit younger but simple and pure too, which I like.

Janice's group is a bit older, I know a lot of them actually, actually most of them tonight. Janice just told me a little beforehand that they were a week behind so it would be a repeat from Phil's. One thing is that it seems that they know almost everything that I do in church. It's a bit crazy. I think it means that they are all close and well-connected and they are paying some attention to me.

Janice led it quite well especially with her questions that helped us reflect and raise our own questions and how the passage is relevant to us. The main topics that were brought up were rebuking and dating non-Christian. I actually found it a bit weird that after reading the passage we were all talking about how to rebuke and the good stuff bout rebuking whereas the passage and Christ's purpose are more about accepting, loving and forgiving.

So i felt i just have to add rebuke "in love", "slow to rebuke", "treat older women like your mother, younger girls as your sisters" and etc... I don't think under normal circumstances people should think too much about rebuking others, just as what John 8 talked about. None of us are really qualified to condemn others and we really only rebuke when there's no other choice and out of "LOVE". Paul gave us very clear instruction on what to do when a member of the church did something very bad.

Personally, I have high toleration, as long as a person is not intentionally hurting someone, hurting the church, negatively influencing new Christians and in serious crime, I wouldn't be the one to rebuke. I rather wait for opportunity to remind someone or pray for them. I hate to rebuke. I would only rebuke when it's very clear that that's the only way and doing it for the best for all.

But there are ways to even lower the chance of people making mistakes like dating non-Christians, and that is good relationship within the fellowship and good foundation of Biblical truth and knowledge. When you are in good relationship with another, people can be open about what they are thinking and thus there can be accountability. It would be easier to correct a wrong and to tell your brother or sister that that might not be a good idea before he or she start actually doing it. Basically just protecting, guarding and being accountable for one another. But before there is this trust and friendship, there must be fellowship and time to know one another, open up and honesty. True fellowship in another word. So that's what fellowship is all about.

I learned about the elephants haha. Learned some new words. And really got to know the guys from discussion.

No comments: